What is MyOpenMath, and how does it work? MyOpenMath is a platform created for mathematics and other quantitative fields. It can also be defined as an online course management platform, and it serves as an assessment system for mathematics and quantitative subjects. In addition, the platform provides peer-to-peer support through discussion forums. On this website, students can receive immediate feedback on problems that were generated using an algorithm and have either numerical or algebraic expression answers.
It is one of the best platforms for students who would like to study mathematics and also perform exercises with immediate feedback. Meanwhile, MyOpenMath is also a great platform for instructors who want to adopt an open textbook. They offer a pre-defined course based on popular open textbooks for instructors. So, whether you are a student or an instructor, you can make use of this platform.
History of MyOpenMath
Firstly, this platform was first developed as open-source software by David Lippman. He taught at Washington State University as a Professor. Since the development of this app, it has grown to become one of the most sophisticated management system portals for students and teachers.
Meanwhile, Professor David Lippman funded the site for the first year but he later joined forces with XYZ Homework and Lumen Learning. However, in 2017, Lumen split off their version of My Open Math and then called it Lumen OHM to differentiate their services from the free My Open Math community.
How does it Work?
Meanwhile, My Open Math functions as a non-profit website. Many individuals also assist in running and maintaining the website. In addition, the portal relies on financial support from schools that use the website as well as sponsorship to keep running. Unlike other platforms, it is so easy to make use of the My Open Math Portal; you just need a computer or mobile device with a stable internet connection.
You don’t need to install the application on your mobile or desktop device. Next, you will have to create a student or instructor account. As a student, once you’ve signed up for an account, you can make use of its advanced features. Students can enter algebraic expressions, algorithmically generate homework, etc.
MyOpenMath for Students
As previously stated, this platform is one of the best for students to study math on their own and also get quick feedback. It provides them with interactive assessments to complete for free and open math textbooks that can be read online.
Self-grading tests in their self-study courses generate fresh iterations of previous issues, allowing for limitless practice and fast feedback. The self-study courses also include video lessons. Here are some of the courses available on the site:
- Trigonometry, using the CK12/Sousa textbook
- Pre-algebra, using the College of Redwoods textbook
- Using the Tyler Wallace textbook, students are introduced to basic and intermediate algebra.
- Pre-calculus 1(College Algebra), using the Lippman/Rasmussen textbook
- Pre-calculus 2(Trigonometry), using the Lippman/Rasmussen textbook
MyOpenMath for Instructors
Meanwhile, this platform was first created for mathematics by providing the delivery of homework, tests, and quizzes with rich mathematical content. Students get instant feedback on algorithmically generated questions with numerical answers. Also, it does this through a full course management system that includes files, postings, discussion forums, a full guidebook, and more.
Presently, the portal is used to web-enhance an on-campus course as part of a hybrid course or a fully online course. Also, they provide pre-defined courses based on well-known textbooks. These courses include online assignments, handouts, instructor resources, etc. You can read the books on the website online or print copies through their partner site, opentextbookstore.com. Some currently pre-built courses on the web are:
- Beginning and Intermediate Algebra, a CK12 flex book remixed by James Sousa
- David Lippman’s Math in Society A Math and quantitative reasoning course for the liberal arts
- Precalculus: David Lippman and Melonie Rasmussen’s An Exploration of Functions (covers College Algebra and Trig) Tour in video [+]
- By Carl Stitz and Jeff Zeager, College Algebra
- Contemporary Calculus (single variable), by Dale Hoffman
- Shana Calaway, Dale Hoffman, and David Lippman’s Business Calculus
- The remix of the MITE/NROC textbook by David Lippman is titled Mathematics for College Students.
- Pre-algebra, by College of the Redwoods
- Beginning and Intermediate Algebra, by Tyler Wallace
How To Create a MyOpenMath Account for Student
As mentioned above, students are required to create an account with the platform before they can successfully access their content. Here is a quick and easy way to sign up for a student account.
- Visit their official website at https://www.myopenmath.com/forms.php?action=newuser.
- On the website, locate the signup button.
- Next, create a username using numbers and letters.
- Create a strong password, and then confirm your password.
- Enter your first and last name.
- Also, enter an active email address.
- Please check the box to confirm that you are at least 13 years old.
- Read the terms and conditions and tap “I “agree.”
- Enter the course ID and key provided by your teacher below the box.
- Finally, click “Join up” and then adhere to the prompts on the screen.
Already have an account with My Open Math? Simply log in to your account using your correct details and information. Here is a quick guide on how to sign in to your account:
- Visit the official website at https://www.myopenmath.com/.
- On the website, locate the login icon at the right corner of the page.
- Enter your username and password.
- Then, click on “log in.”
My Open Math Instructor Account Sign Up
Instructors can request an account by carefully following the below steps and guidelines:
- Visit https://www.myopenmath.com/newinstructor.php
- Next, you will be required to enter your information.
- The school affiliation is listed on the first page.
- Select the kind of institution you work for.
- Lastly, follow the prompts to complete the registration.
Following the above steps and guidelines, you will be able to sign up for a MyOpenMath Instructor account online.