How can I delete apps on my iPhone? If you’ve found your iPhone overwhelmed with a cluttered array of apps that you rarely use, there are simple steps you can take to regain control.
You can declutter your device by deleting, offloading, or hiding unessential apps. This process is relatively straightforward for those using the latest iOS.
However, for iPhone users still running iOS 13 and earlier, the experience can be a bit cumbersome. Attempts to delete an app might result in it being moved to the App Library instead of being fully removed.
By the end of this article, you’ll be equipped with the knowledge to permanently delete apps from your iPhone, whether you’re using iOS 13 and earlier or iOS 14 and later.
In the ever-evolving world of technology, mobile applications can become outdated. Whether you’ve outgrown them, want to free up storage space, or the company has abandoned them, you’ll find instructions below on how to efficiently delete apps from your iPhone.
How to Delete Apps On iPhone
The process for deleting or uninstalling an app on an iPhone varies depending on the version of iOS you have. If you’re unsure about your iOS version, follow these steps:
- Open the ‘Settings’ app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and select ‘General.
- Scroll down again and tap on ‘About.’
- On the ‘About’ screen, you’ll see your current iOS version displayed next to the Software Version.
Then you can check the iOS version running on your phone and know the steps to follow to uninstall or delete apps on your device.
How to Delete Apps Running on iOS 14 and Later
If your iPhone uses the iOS 14 and later version, the method for deleting the apps is the standard method.
However, the standard method for deleting or uninstalling apps on an iPhone is very simple and straightforward.
So, if you want to uninstall an app from an iPhone running iOS 14 and above, here’s what you need to do;
- Find the app you want to delete or uninstall.
- Click and hold the icon for a few seconds.
- Select Remove App from the pop-up menu.
- Then click Delete App in the next pop-up.
Alternatively, you can also choose to Remove from the Home Screen option if you still want to keep the app in your App Library.
How To Remove Apps From the Home Screen Option
Removing apps from the home screen actually means you want to keep the app in your App library. Here’s how to go about that below;
- Touch and hold the app you want to remove on the Home Screen.
- Click Remove App.
- Then click Remove from Home Screen to keep it in the App Library.
- You can also click Delete App to delete it from your iPhone.
If you remove the app from your home screen, you will still be able to find it in your App library.
How to Uninstall Apps Via Settings
The other option is to delete apps on your iPhone from Settings. You can do it using the steps listed below:
- Go to Settings.
- Visit General.
- Move to iPhone Storage.
- Scroll down to find the app you would like to delete.
- Click on it.
- Then click on Delete App.
Note that instead of deleting apps permanently, you can also hide them from your Home Screen so that they can only remain in your App Library. This main option is available for iOS 14 and later versions.
How to Delete Apps Running on iOS 13 and Earlier
The process for deleting or uninstalling apps from iPhones with version iOS 13 and earlier is slightly different, which can cause people to wonder how it works. So, if you use a device running iOS 13 and earlier, here’s how to delete apps;
- Look for the app you want to delete or uninstall on your Home Screen.
- Click and hold your finger down on its icon.
- Select Rearrange Apps from the menu that displays.
- All the apps on the phone will begin to jiggle, and small X icons will emerge at the top of each of the ones you can delete or uninstall.
- On any app you want to remove, click the X.
- A menu will appear, asking for confirmation that you want to delete the app.
- Tap Delete.
Aside from the above, you can also delete apps through your phone settings. These steps are similar to the delete steps for iOS 14 (Setting > General > iPhone Storage > Select App To Delete).
Delete Hidden Apps on the Home Screen
After hiding an App, you might later find the app irrelevant and want to delete it. Here are the steps you can follow to delete the app below;
- Go to Settings.
- Locate and click on General.
- Go to iPhone Storage.
- Scroll down to find the app you want to delete.
- Tap on it.
- Then click Delete App.
By following the above steps carefully, you should be able to delete apps that are hidden on your iPhone home screen.
In conclusion, with the above-listed steps, deleting or uninstalling an app shouldn’t be a big deal for you on your iPhone again, even if it’s a visible or hidden app.