Pinterest, a popular image-sharing website, was launched in 2010 and has become a go-to platform for Twitter and many other social platform users seeking inspiring images and content.
While it’s not mandatory to have a Pinterest account to enjoy the millions of available images, creating one unlocks a range of additional features, including following other users, accessing their ‘boards,’ sending messages and commenting on specific ‘pins’ within Pinterest.
With over 18 million active users as of January 2018, Pinterest is a valuable resource for those in search of valuable content and images. Notably, the platform has a predominantly female user base. For instance, my friend, a wedding planner, frequently turns to Pinterest for creative ideas.
Visitors to www.pinterest.com can discover and access information through images, videos, and GIFs, offering a visually engaging way to explore content. Pinterest’s emphasis on images and boards sets it apart from other social media platforms. What’s more? Read on to find out.
How Pinterest Works
Pinterest is an engaging platform accessible to everyone. While anyone can browse the image collection on Pinterest, only registered users have a dedicated username and password on the platform.
What’s intriguing is that the platform serves more than just entertainment purposes. It offers a range of practical functionalities. To begin, visit the official website to sign up for an account.
Alternatively, you can expedite the registration process by logging in through your Twitter or Facebook account. In other words, if you prefer not to create a new username and password, you can simply use your existing Facebook or Twitter credentials to gain access. The process for this is totally easy.
Visitors to this idea platform can enjoy a range of compelling features. These platform services are free, but you need to register to access them. Here are the key features:
- Registered users can actively save, manage, explore, and upload images and other approved media files, referred to as ‘pins.’ They have the ability to organize these pins into groups known as ‘pinboards.’
- Companies can utilize the platform for business promotion, create pages to showcase products, and share service details, pricing, and other essential information with potential customers.
- Users can use the search option to discover different pins and pages.
To leverage these features, users must complete the Pinterest account registration process, ensuring they are ready to explore www.pinterest.com and discover new content.
Basic Terms on Pinterest
The platform Pinterest has several terms that are peculiar to it. For instance, you don’t say that you want to create a folder for files on Pinterest. Instead, you will say that you want to create a “Board” for all your “Pins”. For clarity, some of the unique terms on Pinterest are stated below:
- Pin: This signifies any content added to Pinterest.
- Board/Pinboard: This is a collection of pins that are usually assembled based on a theme, topic, or idea.
- Pinning: This is the act of adding something, whether images or content, to the Pinterest site.
- Following: This term is used to say that you have an interest in another user’s pins or collection of pins (board). Once you follow another user, you will be able to access their content on your board.
- Repinning: This is the act of placing a pin from someone’s board into your own board.
- Liking: This sends a signal to the user that pinned an image, indicating that you appreciate the image. In this case, such an image will be added to your profile. It is important to note that such an image will not be included in your board.
How To Set Up an Account
To set up an account, all you need to do is first visit the official website. Here you will be required to provide a Username and password that will help you do the login later on.
You will also need to answer some basic questions such as your age, gender, email address, country, and category of interest. After completing these questions, the system will send a link to the provided email address, which will enable you to proceed.
Pinterest uses the category of interest you provided to actively suggest images that might align with your preferences. You can then actively pin these images to your profile.
If you do not want to create a new username and password, you can easily create an account by logging in to your Twitter or Facebook account using your personal username and password.
The advantage of Pinterest signing up using your Twitter or Facebook account is that Pinterest will be able to connect with all your friends on Facebook and Twitter instantly. This helps build your followers faster.